Maison

SPC (Stone Polymer Composite) Waterproof flooring is not necessary better than WPC!

Is SPC Waterproof flooring better?

The Stone Plastic(Polymer) Composite flooring, also often called rigid core flooring in the industry, is a much cheaper product.  Different from Wood Plastic(Polymer) Composite, or WPC, the SPC core contains no wood particles which makes it more stable and harder.  And the lack of vinyl veneer make it more resilient under heat.   However, there are some major drawbacks of such construction.  First of all, the manufacturing process of SPC flooring only allows a very thin layer of veneer being laminated to the core.  Much like the now almost obsolete laminate flooring, there’s limitation to what the visual can achieve with such thin layer of veneer.  Secondly, the density of the core makes it much less acoustically pleasing once it’s installed.  Lastly, the rigidness of the planks makes it impossible  to conform to any unevenness of the subfloor.  This can end up with more “hollow spots” after installation.

The SPC flooring has been marketed to replace WPC flooring because it contains no wood particle and it is harder.  However, in reality, it is much easier and cheaper to produce SPC flooring on the manufacturer end.  That is the key driving force of its production.  In addition, due to patent issue, almost all of the so-called WPC flooring today actually contains no wood particle at all.  Therefore, SPC and WPC flooring should be considered as two different types or levels of waterproof flooring.  We shouldn’t use price alone to distinguish the two.  There are a lot more to consider when explain the differences to customers.   Just like Solid and Engineered hardwood flooring, they are wood flooring but different in construction, price and application.

Comments

• December 15, 2017

Steve

I didn’t really see any reasons that WPC is better than SPC except that WPC can have a thicker veneer attached. Embossed and registered plank has a more realistic look but the veneer that is attached is not immune to expansion contraction like the SPC core. So the more realistic look does not yield a higher quality, it increases the chance of failure with a high temperature variance.. And I don’t understand why SPC’s higher core density would give it worse acoustics.

• February 9, 2018

kim

Can the concern with SPC’s acoustics and “hollow” sounds be reduced with an underlayment? Thank you.

• February 11, 2018

suzan nemati

We just finished installing SPC flooring in our home & worried about health issues . There seems to be a strong smell in the house even though it is a week past installation. Is the smell going to go away? Are there any health issues anyone knows about that can be shared?

Thanks,
    Suzan

• May 7, 2018

daniel

Have you seen this new spc stuff that has a real wood veneer?

• May 22, 2018

Cherry

Hi,
        if you like, I would like to show you some more details about the so-called “gimmick” to you.
        Maybe you underestimate it.
        Thank you.

• May 15, 2018

JP

I’m about to install vinyl planks in my home due to pets problems. I also have a pool table. I need something that’s 100% waterproof for pets accidents and best scratch and dent resistant for pets and the heavy pool table. Which would you recommend, WPC or SPC? Also, what is your recommendation for wear layer, overall thickness for my “dilemma”? Any particular brand you can suggest would be helpful. Thank you.

• May 15, 2018

JP

I’d like to install vinyl planks in my home due to pets problems. I also have a pool table. I need something that’s 100% waterproof and best scratch and dent resistant. Which would you recommend, WPC or SPC? Can you also advise on the wear layer and overall thickness for my “dilemma”. Your suggestion on brands is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

• May 17, 2018

Debbie

If I’m understanding all these answers correctly, I gather a raise foundation home would do better with the WPC engineered flooring?

• November 3, 2018

DeAnn Funaro

We have a situation of a 100 yr old wood floor that cannot be replaced. Some of the rooms are parquet and others are wood slats. Due to color and variation in print, we would like a more uniform look. Would you recommend a WPC or SPC floor to float over a squeeky wood floor in a NYC apt.? How does the WPC hold up to radiators?